I HAVE TO SWALLOW THAT?
PILL SWALLOWING TECHNIQUES FOR KIDS AND TEENS
Put it in a piece of cheese and hid it in their food . . . Oh, wait a minutes, that is for dogs!
- Start out with a Candy Sprinkle or other tiny cake decoration and then on to a Mini M&M.
- Use room temp H20 or slightly warm.
- Take a sip of water before and after pill.
- Try different ways of swallowing to see what works for you:
- Most people put the pill on the back of their tongue and drink water until the pill goes down their throat.
- Some people like to put water in their mouth and then put the pills in with the water. They swallow that water and pill together.
- Another way is to try using a straw to drink the water
- Tilt your head back a little when you swallow, so it’s easier to get to get the pill down. However...Don’t do this for capsules – they float on water! If you’re swallowing this type of pill, tilt your head down a little so that it floats up to the back of your mouth.
- Look straight ahead, don’t tilt back or forward.
- Relax, take a calming breath, let it out S-L-O-W-L-Y, and take the pill.
- Take your time.
- Visualize yourself taking and swallowing the pill with ease.
- Visualize that this pill is your favorite food. This pill is smaller than a bite of your favorite food that you chew and swallow with ease.
- Remember 99.999% of the population is able to take pills successfully. Some are even scared and yet they do with ease.
- Maybe water is not your cup of tea; take a pill with your favorite beverage.
- It can help oftentimes to look straightforward, don’t tilt, take a sip of warm water, put pill on tongue, then sip with a straw and drink with something a bit thicker than water, like milk or a milkshake.
- Practice makes perfect.
- Do not crush or break pill unless you have checked on med insert.
- You can try the doggie method, which almost never, ever works, by putting pill in applesauce, yogurt, or ice cream. But you could have on hand to give immediately afterwards.